Are you a new edible gardener, or want to be one, or know one? The Edible Garden Lush Kit by Diglings and Ground Control is a tried-and-tested starter kit to inspire a new food gardener to begin a life-changing journey, and more importantly, to stick to it.
Here are my step-by-step tips on how to grow the included bayam (amaranth) seeds from seed to harvest. Bayam is a great leafy vegetable for a beginner or busy gardener because it is fast to germinate, pretty to see, hardy to pests, and so versatile in a salad, stir-fry or soup. If you have seeds of other leafy greens, the following tips also apply.
- One bag of 15 L potting mix fills one medium (M) grow pouch. Place the pouch in a spot that ideally gets half a day of direct sunlight, and is protected from heavy rain. Learn more on matching plants to weather. Scatter half a teaspoon of bayam seeds on the soil surface in each pouch. Sprinkle just enough soil to cover the seeds.
2. Water the seeds and soil until soil is moist but not soggy. Keep seeds always moist until germination – don’t ever let them dry out.
3. Within 4 days, the seeds have germinated, each with a pair of seed leaves.
4. In 10 days, the first pair of true leaves appears. These are the leaves that we will eat. After this, the plants will grow quickly and visibly by centimetres every day! The rate of growth depends on the amount of sunlight, water and nutrients, so your growth rate may vary from mine.
5. After the appearance of the first true leaves, once a week, drench diluted Lush on your plants as if you are watering the plants. To dilute, mix 2 ml of Lush in 1 litre of water (1:500). Yes, that’s all you need! Lush is that potent and economical. This photo shows 2 ml of Lush One in a measuring cup and a 1-litre watering can. Follow this simple schedule:
Week 1 – Lush One
Week 2 – Lush Too
Week 3 – Lush One
Week 4 – Lush Too
6. In 18 days, we can start harvesting or we can let the bayam grow bigger. On the left is the sharp-leaf green bayam, which is melt-in-your-mouth tender when stir-fried or cooked in soups. On the right is the pretty rounder-leaf green and red bayam.
7. Day 23 after starting seeds. I am going to harvest the bigger, taller leaves while they are nice and tender to eat. This will allow the smaller leaves below to get more sun and space to grow bigger.
8. A harvest bouquet of leaves. There is enough left growing in the pouches for a few more meals.
The Edible Garden Lush Kit
From Merdeka to Malaysia Day, Diglings and Ground Control are offering a tried and tested starter kit to inspire a new food gardener to begin a life-changing journey. Perfect for the balcony, porch or patio, The Edible Garden Lush Kit @ RM64 per set contains:
1 little Lush Set (Lush One 200ml & Lush Too 200ml)
1 GrowPouch M size
1 GrowDelicious Balanced Potting Mix 15L
2 Seed packets (sharp green bayam and red bayam)
Apart from saving more than RM20 per set, you’ll get an additional 5L bag of GrowDelicious Raw Compost when you purchase more than 3 sets. To order: WhatsApp 0182918366 or https://www.groundcontrol.my/products/edible-garden-lush-kit